Form 990 Common Errors
- MOST COMMON ERROR: Failing to complete Schedule A, the section of the form that requires charities and certain types of charitable trusts to list the salaries and benefits awarded to top officials and to top-paid independent contractors. This part of the form also focuses on advocacy activity and contains additional questions not covered on the Form 990 itself.
- Second Most Common Error: Failing to note primary exempt mission as required in the statement of program accomplishments.
- Arithmetic errors account for about 20% of all 990 tax returns.
- Not having the signature of any of the organization’s officers.
- Failing to attach required supporting schedules.
- Not listing the correct tax year.